A Desktop Client for Borg Backup
Vorta is a backup client for macOS and Linux desktops. It integrates the mighty Borg Backup with your favorite desktop environment to protect your data from disk failure, ransomware and theft.
Why is this great? 🤩
- Encrypted, deduplicated and compressed backups using Borg as backend.
- No vendor lock-in – back up to local drives, your own server or BorgBase, a hosting service for Borg backups.
- Open source – free to use, modify, improve and audit.
- Flexible profiles to group source folders, backup destinations and schedules.
- One place to view all point-in-time archives and restore individual files.
Vorta should work on all platforms that support Qt and Borg. This includes macOS, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Arch Linux and many others. Windows is currently not fully supported by Borg, but this may change in the future.
See here for available packages and install instructions.
Learn how to set up a backup workflow to a remote (or local) destination. And most importantly, how to restore files later.
Want to contribute to Vorta? Great! See Contributing to see how you can help with coding, packaging and translation. See our Github contributors page for the people behind Vorta.
Thanks to Alexander Taylor for expanding the documentation.
Vorta is open source and licenced under the Gnu GPL.